Planning Open Records

Request for Information

Complete a Request for Information and email to

Fee Payment

Online Payment Portal

  • Please do not pay until you have verified the amount due with Planning Staff!
  • When making a payment through the portal, be sure to choose the Planning Division Payment from the Payment Type dropdown box. For “PID” or “Account” simply enter the address of the property or a parcel ID number. If you have difficulties making a payment, contact us at 785-368-3728.

Information Available

  • Zoning Verification: No fee
    • Zoning verification is provided as a public service, and zoning for a particular property can be verified
      via email ( or over the phone by calling 785-368-3728. An interactive zoning map with can be
      accessed here.
    • For written zoning verification, on City of Topeka letterhead, submit a request
      by email to
  • Zoning Compliance Letter: $50
    • A letter that includes zoning district confirmation, compliance information, whether or not the property can be rebuilt / or other zoning research as requested. Zoning staff will respond to written requests for zoning compliance information on specific properties within the City limits of Topeka, Kansas.
  • Copy of Plat, Master PUD, Ordinance(s) and/or Resolution(s), CUP or Site Plan: $5 per document + $10 research fee
  • Report of Open Zoning Code Violations: $5
  • Report of Open Building Code Violations: $5 per building
  • Certificates of Occupancy: $10 per building
  • Open Building Permits: $10 per building
  • Building Permit History: $10 per building
  • Inspection Reports: $5
  • Tradesman Licenses: $5 (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, general contractor, trade contractor, specialty contractor)
  • Certificate of Insurance: $5 (general liability insurance for contractors licensed by the Development Services Division)

Upon receipt of your Request for Information, you will be contacted within 3  business day with the cost, which can be paid with a credit card, check, or, if hand delivered, cash. Please do not mail cash.

If payment is mailed, include a copy of the completed Request for Information form. Checks should be payable to City of Topeka.

Mail to:
City of Topeka Planning & Development Department, Unit 11
620 SE Madison
Topeka KS 66607

All fees are based on standard research requests and digital responses. If printed materials are requested or substantial research is required, additional fees will be charged and you will be notified ahead of time.

Other Requests

Requests for information other than that listed above should be submitted through the City Clerk’s office.   Fees and additional information about Open Record Requests can be found on the City Clerk’s webpage.