The City of Topeka is proud to host numerous events every year. Our goal is to assist event organizers in planning safe and successful events that have minimal impact on the communities surrounding the event. Keep in mind, each special event planned is important to the City of Topeka, whether it’s a small neighborhood block party or a large parade.
The Special Event Application and Debris Deposit Form have been designed to help you identify the services, equipment and activities needed early in the planning stages. We hope by doing so, we will minimize last minute surprises for all parties during your upcoming event. Please take a few minutes to read through the application thoroughly.
The Administrative Regulations may be applied during the process of reviewing and approving special event applications. Regulations that will be considered include (1) Reducing Length of Street Closure (2) Using Alternative Streets (3) Notice to Surrounding Property Owners and (4) Consideration of Noise.
If your event location is the State Capitol area, please contact the Capitol Police at 785-296-3420.
Please ensure approval of your special event application by the city before you announce your activity. Acceptance of the application by the city is neither a guarantee of the date or location nor an automatic approval of your event.
Call 785-408-8996, or email Thomas Underwood.
Call Event Services 785-234-2787, extension 105, or email Blair Adams, Director of Event Services
- If your event is a Neighborhood Block Party, Type III barricades are required.
- If your event is a large parade, Type III barricades or water barricades will be required. Please call the Topeka Police Department at 785-368-9015 for further information.
- Barricade Rental Information: Mather Flare: 785-478-3780 C-Hawkk: 785-542-1800 Traffic Control Services, Inc.: 785-448-0402
- Name, Address and Phone Number for Contact Information
- Location of the event
- Date(s) and Time(s) of event
- Type of amplified noise (Examples: Live Band, Speaker, DJ)
The seller is required to have an Alcohol Beverage License. For more information on regulations, you can access the Kansas Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) website or call (785) 296-7015.
Who is your council member?
- A Hold Harmless Agreement may be used in lieu of a Certificate of Liability Insurance for a block party exclusively serving food in the City right-of-way.
- A Certificate of Liability Insurance is needed for all events with the exception of block parties listing the City of Topeka as an additional insured in the amount of $500,000.
Deposits are determined as follows:
- $250 – Less than 5,000 people in attendance
- $500 – More than 5,000 people in attendance
- All other associated clean-up must be completed within 12 hours after the ending time noted on the event permit.
- A post-event inspection will be conducted by city staff, if all cleanup requirements have been met you will receive a refund within two (2) weeks.
- Advertising Your Event – Pursuant to TMC 9.10.010: NO Posting or Affixing of Event Advertisements on Public Property (parking meters, lampposts, utility poles, traffic control device, etc.)
- 60 Business Days (12 weeks) if the event is serving alcohol beverages (Governing Body approval may be necessary)
- 45 Business Days (8 weeks) if your event occurs on a holiday (Recognized holidays include New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)
- 30 Business Days (6 weeks) if the event occurs on any day that is NOT a holiday
- 20 Business Days (4 weeks) if the event is a block party
City Clerk's Office
215 SE 7th Street, Room 166
Topeka, Kansas 66603
Fax Number: 785-368-3943
Once you have completed and submitted your application, City staff will review your application. Once this review is complete, the City Clerk's office will issue the Special Event Permit for your event. If you have any questions during the application process, please contact the City Clerk at 785-368-3940 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
|Tonya Bailey||City Clerk’s Officeemail@example.com|
|Jeff Sloan||Topeka Police Departmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Adam Appelhanz||Topeka Fire Department||785 email@example.com|
|Kent Pelton||Traffic Engineering Divisionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Todd Workman||Street Operations Divisionemail@example.com|
|Jenn Howey||Parking Division||785- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mary Feighny||City Attorney’s Officeemail@example.com|