Thank you for your interest in conducting business in the Capitol of Kansas. The City Clerk’s office will be happy to assist you in the application process as requirements for licenses vary. Email us at or call 785-368-3941.

The City of Topeka does not issue general business licenses. However, there are certain activities that are regulated and require a license and/or submission of an occupation tax mandated by the Topeka Municipal Code. The submission of a license application and the appropriate fee does not constitute approval of that application. When approved, the license will be mailed to your address on the application or you will be contacted directly. If your application for a license is denied for any reason, a notice of denial will be mailed to you.

Other information to consider before submitting a license application:

  • You must obtain a license for each activity, this includes any person who falls into more than one license category
  • No license shall be assigned or transferred to another person
  • No license is valid at more than one location (mobile food service units are exempt)
  • No refund will be issued for any unused period of a license or if the license is denied (TMC Section 5.05.060)
  • Grounds for mandatory denial of a license include (1) The building or premises of the establishment does not comply with the provisions and terms of the building code, zoning ordinance, fire regulations, health regulations or any other ordinances and regulations of the city. (2) The building or premises of the establishment are in such unsanitary or unsafe condition as to endanger the public safety, health and welfare. (3) The applicant is indebted to the city. (4) There are delinquent real estate taxes on the premises.
  • Licenses may be denied for any of the following:
    1. Fraud, misrepresentation or any false statement contained in the application for a license
    2. Fraud, misrepresentation or false statement made in the operation of a business
    3. Conducting a business in an unlawful manner or in such manner as to constitute a breach of the peace or to constitute a menace to the health, morals, safety or welfare of the public; or
    4. The failure or inability of an applicant to meet and satisfy the requirements and provisions of license code regulations.

Activities That Require A License

Alcohol Liquor Distributor
Ambulance Service
Automobile Buses
Cereal Malt Beverage (Beer 3.2%)
Fireworks Stands
Flea Market Promoter
Going Out of Business
Mobile Food Service Unit
Precious Metal Dealer
Private Club/Drinking Establishment
Retail Liquor
Salvage Yard
Second Hand Dealer
Sidewalk Vendor
Sign Hanger
Special Event
Taxi Cab Company
Taxi Cab Driver
Tobacco/Novelty Retail
Transient Merchant
Tree Shrub and Vine Service

Application Submissions

Download license applications and view license code regulations.

Submit applications in person, via U.S. mail, email or fax to the following address anytime Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Please make all fees payable to the City of Topeka.

City Clerk’s Office
215 SE 7th Street Rm 166, City Hall
Topeka, KS 66603

Fax: 785-368-3943

Other Licensing & Permit Information

Contractors Licensing, Permits & Inspections (Development Services Division)

The City of Topeka Development Services Divisions issues permits for general contractors, trade contractors, commercial & residential construction permits and inspections. Visit the Development Services web page or call 785-368-3905 for more information.

Alarm Agent / Company – Security Guard / Company (Topeka Police Department)

Applications for Alarm Agents and Alarm Companies or Security Guards and Security Companies should be submitted to the Topeka Police Department located at 320 S. Kansas Avenue, Suite 100, Topeka, Kansas, 66603.

For more information on the requirements of the license please contact Lori A. Smith by email or call 785-368-9456.