Topeka Customer Service Utility Accounts include City of Topeka utilities (water, stormwater and sanitary sewer), Sherwood Wastewater District and Shawnee County Refuse (if elected). The services specific to your account will be determined by the water and wastewater utilities servicing your location and by selection of Shawnee County Refuse or a private refuse hauler.
Open a New Account or Transfer Service
To open a new account or transfer your service address on an existing account, please contact the Customer Service Center at 785-368-3111 and provide the following:
- Name, service and billing address (if different), phone number(s), social security number, birth date, driver’s license number, employer, employer’s phone number.
- Your option whether to grant another person access to your account information.
- Required option of either Shawnee County Refuse or a private refuse hauler.
- Names of selected private refuse haulers must be provided.
- Residential customers selecting Shawnee County Refuse are provided with pick-up day, rates, options and service activation.
- Commercial and Industrial customers selecting Shawnee County Refuse must contact them directly at 785-233-4774 for health, environment and container size requirements.
- The date you want your water turned on at your new address, and the date you want your service discontinued at your current address (if applicable).
- Account balance must be current (no past due amount owing) before water service can be turned on at a new address.
- New customers (no previous Utility Account), or customers that have not had service within the last 2 years, must present a valid picture ID at the City Express Payment Center in the Cyrus K. Holliday Building lobby at 620 S.E. Madison St., M-F 8AM-5PM.
- Next day turn on water service (M-F, 7AM-6PM, except holidays) is free of charge. Same day service to restore or turn on new water services is an additional fee of $24.00. Customers are advised to schedule restoring water service as soon as you know the applicable date(s) to avoid additional fees.
- Be present when your water service is turned on.
- You must be 18 or older.
- Appointments to turn on water are scheduled for morning and afternoon. A courtesy call approximately 15 minutes before we arrive is provided upon request.
- If no one can meet us, as a courtesy and convenience to our customers, we offer a
Water Service Turn On Release Agreement (not available late fall through winter). Release Agreements are not recommended. There is real potential for damage when water service is restored without access to a building. Signing a Release Agreement, releases the City of all liability for damage caused by running water. A completed Water Service Turn On Release Agreement may be faxed to 785-368-3825, or submitted in person at the City Express Payment Center in the Cyrus K. Holliday Building lobby at 620 S.E. Madison St. M-F 8AM-5PM.
Terminate City of Topeka Water Service
You must be listed as an authorized person on the account.
Please call Customer Service at 785-368-3111. Our Customer Service Representatives are available to assist you Monday-Friday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Or, you may visit our Payment Center in the Cyrus K Holliday Building lobby at 620 SE Madison St., Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please have account information available; account number and/or name, and the service and billing address. You will also need to provide the date service is to be terminated.
We are unable to accept fax or emails to terminate service. A final reading will be done on the date service is to be terminated. A City of Topeka Final billing statement will be mailed within 14 days of the final reading.