Bill Payment Options
Understanding Your City Utility Bill
- Water: Water Meters are read monthly. Base Charges are assessed per water meter at a service location based on meter size (indicated in Meter Information portion of billing statement). Additionally, a Volume Charge is assessed per 1,000 gallons of water consumed.
- City Wastewater: Base Charges are assessed based on the associated water meter size(s) at the service location. Additionally, a Volume Charge is assessed per 1,000 gallons of wastewater usage. Residential wastewater Volume Charges are based on a customer’s average winter quarter water consumption (Dec-Feb). The charge remains consistent for one year, generally April-April. Non-residential wastewater charges are based on actual monthly water consumption.
- Stormwater: The stormwater fee is assessed on the hard surface of your property. This fee is not related to water usage.
- City of Topeka Utility Rates: Utility rates are established and billed per Topeka Municipal Code.
- Shawnee County Solid Waste: Rates and services are established by Shawnee County (www.co.shawnee.ks.us).
- Outside City and Sherwood Wastewater District: Outside City customers are charged premium water & wastewater rates. Customers served by the Sherwood Wastewater District are billed at rates established by Shawnee County. Outside City customers are assessed a monthly fire hydrant maintenance fee.
Important note: The information above pertains to residential customers. You can also view a complete rate schedule for all customer classifications.
Service Description Code Definitions
- CW Sherwood Wastewater
- FP Fire Protection
- HY Hydrant Mtr Usage
- IR Irrigation
- RF Refuse
- RW Rural Wastewater
- ST Stormwater
- WA Water
- WH Wholesale Water
- MW Master Meter City Wastewater
- WW City Wastewater
- MM Master Meter Water