Permits & Licenses

The Topeka Fire Department is required by code to issue operational, construction, and special events/uses permits. Operational permits are issued to businesses based upon initial plan review application. Special conditions for business operation are set at that time. During the annual business fire inspection, the fire inspector ensures that all special requirements are still being met. If they are, the permit is renewed for another year, and the business is allowed to continue to operate.

Special Events / Uses Permits are issued for specific, regulated activities which, by their nature, require fire department approval. Links to information regarding requirements for obtaining each type of permit are available below.

Permit Information

  • Open Burning Policy of the Topeka Fire Department
  • Bonfire Permit
    • Call the Prevention Division for requirements at 785-368-4000 prior to constructing the burn pile. Construct your burn pile according to the requirements obtained in step one. Call the Fire Prevention Division at 785-368-4000 to schedule an inspection of the constructed burn pile.
  • Burn Permits
  • Commercial Burn Permit Application
  • Commercial Fireworks Display Permit
  • Consumer Fireworks Display Permit
  • Explosives / Blasting Permit
  • Fireworks Retail Stand Complete Application Packet
  • Fireworks Retail Stand Pre-Inspection Information
  • Malt Beverage / Dance License
  • LPG Permit (propane)
    • Permits are required on all LPG tanks of more than 125 gallons aggregate water capacity.
    • Apply at Fire Prevention Division, 620 SE Madison, 3rd Floor, M-F 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
    • Provide tank specifications, site plan reflecting property lines, streets, sidewalks, overhead power lines and buildings,¬†and proposed dates, if temporary.
  • Salvage Yard Permit
    • Apply and pay fee at
      City Clerk’s office, 215 SE 7th St. M -F, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Phone 785 368-3940.
    • The City Clerk’s office will notify the Fire Prevention Division to inspect for new and renewal permit requests. Fire Prevention Division office hours are: M -F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
    • Permit is not valid until all inspecting agencies have signed off on the permit.
  • Tent or Temporary Structure Permit
    • Permits are required on all tents and temporary structures in excess of 400 sq. ft.
    • Apply at the Fire Prevention Division (620 SE Madison, 3rd Floor, M-F, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
    • Provide site plan, dimensions of tent, Certificate of Flame Retardant treatment, proof of fire extinguishers as required by inspection (a minimum of one); A – 10 BC fire extinguisher is required
  • Underground Storage Tank Permit
    • Permits are required to install or remove underground fuel tanks and/or associated product lines, pumps and vents. Apply at Fire Prevention Division, 620 SE Madison, 3rd Floor, M-F 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
    • Installation
      • Provide documentation from KDHE. Phone: 785-842-4600
      • Provide tank specifications
    • Removal
      • Provide documentation from KDHE. Phone: 785-842-4600
      • Evacuate tank atmosphere per UFC
      • Provide approved relocation/disposal site
      • KDHE must test site for contamination after tank removal
      • Fire Prevention must confirm removal prior to back filling