Special Assistance in Fire Emergencies (SAFE) is a Topeka Fire Department Program designed to identify and assist citizens requiring special assistance in an emergency incident.
Fire Safety Depends On You
The first line of defense in a fire is to have a plan to safely self-evacuate.
- Install smoke alarms
- Place your sleeping area next to an exit
- Plan your escape routes
- Work with caregiver to plan and practice safe evacuation
- Senior citizens with mobility issues (Not intended for individuals living in assisted living facilities or nursing homes)
- People with vision, hearing or other impairments
- People who are confined to a bed or wheelchair or have other physical disabilities
- Anyone who feels that in the event of an emergency self-evacuation would not be possible
Apply For The Program
register for SAFE online, or call 785-368-4000 for assistance.
You will be required to give some basic information regarding name, address, contact information and the type of special assistance that may be needed. Once we have review the application you will be contacted by the Topeka Fire Department who may do a home visit to assess your needs.
How The Program Works
Once all the information is gathered and processed, it will be added to the 911 dispatch center database. This information will then be relayed to responding Topeka Fire Department personnel in the event of an emergency incident.
- A 911 call is initiated
- The Topeka Fire Department is notified and responds to the call
- The dispatcher will be alerted that the address is flagged as a SAFE address
- Specific information gathered during the registration process will be relayed to responding companies
- When Crews arrive they will have additional information to better respond to the emergency situation
All participants in the SAFE program are required to register annually.