2021 EPA Brownfield Assessment Grant
The City of Topeka, with the assistance of Stantec, applied for and received a $300,000 EPA Brownfield Community-wide Assessment Grant in 2021. Possible uses for the grant funds include Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments (ESAs) and site/area reuse and cleanup planning. The target area includes North Topeka and Downtown. However, funds can be utilized city-wide, as appropriate. The grant period is three years and will extend to September 30, 2024.
Grant partners include EPA Region 7, Stantec, and the State of Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
2017 EPA Brownfield Assessment Grant
The City of Topeka, with the assistance of Stantec, applied for and received a $300,000 EPA Brownfield Assessment Grant in 2017. The grant is now closed. Grant funds were used to:
- Inventory and prioritize the City’s brownfield sites
- Outreach activities
- Small area-wide plan for the River South Neighborhood
- Phase 1 ESA and Phase II ESAs of 12 properties located in the future Riverfront Park along the Kansas River adjacent to the NOTO Arts District and Great Overland Station.
- Phase I ESA for 3 properties along the south side of the Kansas River in the River South District.
View the reports here:
- Phase I Report – Future Riverfront Park Properties
- Phase II Report – Future Riverfront Park Properties
- Phase I Report – River South District Properties