Updating Accident Report Provider
The Topeka Police Department Records Unit has initiated a project to transition to the use of Carfax for the sale of accident reports online. Customers will be able to access, purchase and print Topeka Police Department crash reports from the convenience of their home. Sales are completed using a major credit card and reports are accessible and printable right away, or are accessible for viewing and printing for the next 30 days. Receipts are emailed to the customer immediately.
Report is priced at $5.00 and customers are never charged a credit card transaction fee.
Businesses wishing to set up an account are requested to contact carfax online. Carfax representatives will work with you to get your account running with a single invoice each month for multiple purchases.
About The Records Division
The Records Unit of the Support Services Division is the central repository of all police reports generated by the Topeka Police Department. Hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., every day of the year, with the public service window in the LEC Lobby open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Records is responsible for receiving and processing all criminal, non-criminal and accident police reports; inputting the information into the Department's record management system; and maintaining custodial control of all case information.
The Unit also Provides Support and Services to Police Officers, Law Enforcement Agencies and the Public. Services Include:
- Providing copies of Police Reports to the public as governed by KORA (Kansas Open Records Act) or by a court issued subpoena.
- Conducting background checks on individuals at the request of Law Enforcement, Court, Government Agencies etc. We do not conduct background checks for the general public. Please direct such requests to the KBI (Kansas Bureau of Investigations) at (785) 296-8200 or online.
- Alarms – 785-368-9039 – alarm company and alarm agent licensing; bills for false alarms and receives payments
- Fingerprinting Services
- Licensing/ID – 785-368-9456 – merchant guard/private security guard company and individual guard licensing; fingerprinting (link to fingerprinting services page) for non-criminal use for members of the public who are not minors.
- Switchboard – 785-368-9551 – routes incoming calls Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Warrants – 785-368-9461 – maintains custody of municipal warrants