Effective January 1, 2021 the Topeka Police Department will discontinue operation of the Impound Lot located at 322 NW Crane St.
Heartland Recovery, Inc. located at 2036 SE Quincy St. was awarded the contract for impound services through the City’s competitive bid process.
Process For Claiming Impound Vehicle
The procedure for claiming an impounded vehicle will remain the same. The registered owner must present:
- Current, valid registration and tag
- Current, valid insurance
- A valid driver’s license or state issued photo ID card
Before an impounded vehicle can be claimed these items must be presented to staff at the Topeka Police Department Property Room located at 320 S. Kansas Ave. Operating hours are Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., excluding City Holidays.
As a result of these changes in operation, residents of the City of Topeka can expect to see some of the following changes:
- A change in fee structure related to reclaiming an impounded vehicle. These fees will now be assessed by Heartland Recovery, Inc. and not the City of Topeka.
- Vehicles will no longer be impounded from private property absent a criminal offense.
- Abandoned vehicles should continue to be reported through SeeClickFix and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.