Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get my arrest, conviction and/or diversion expunged?
Yes. View our page on expungement for the proper forms to start the process.

Can a traffic offense classified as a moving violation be amended to a non-moving violation?
The process through which a charge is reduced or amended is called a “plea agreement”. Plea agreements are made at the sole discretion of the City Attorney’s Office. If you would like to request an amendment of a citation, you need to contact the City Attorney’s Office at
785-368-3910 prior to your scheduled arraignment.

I think I may have a warrant, what do I do now?
A warrant is a court order instructing a law enforcement officer to arrest you. To resolve a warrant you must appear in person at the Municipal Court to post an appearance bond. Bonds can be posted at the court office Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or at the Shawnee County Department of Corrections after arrest.

My driver’s license has been suspended, how do I get it back?
If your driver’s license was suspended for failing to appear in court or pay for a citation, the only way to get your license back is to resolve the charge against you through the court that handled the ticket and pay a reinstatement fee. If your driver’s license was suspended for any other reason, you must contact the Department of Motor Vehicles by calling 785-296-3671 or go personally to their office in the Docking State Office Building. Regardless of your driver’s license status, if you were cited for Driving While Suspended – you are still required to appear in the Topeka Municipal Court to address the charge. Topeka Municipal Court requires that any case which has resulted in a license suspension be paid in full (cash, cashier’s check or money order) before a reinstatement letter will be sent to the State.

My vehicle has been towed – how do I get it out of impound?
Go to the Topeka Police Impound Lot located at 322 NW Crane Street.

How do I get my dog out of Helping Hands?
If you are charged with vicious animal you will need to file a motion with the court for release of the animal. Send a copy of any such motion to the City Attorney Prosecutor’s Office, 215 SE 7th Street, Room 260, Topeka, Kansas 66603-3914. Cruelty charges, or pit bull related charges require animals to remain at Helping Hands until conclusion of the case.

I need to speak with someone in the Probation Division (or the Prosecution Division), how do I contact these offices?
The telephone number for the Probation Division is 785-368-3783 and the Prosecution Division is 785-368-3910.