2023 Test Dates – Registration for each test will commence after the previous test has been completed.
- Friday, May 12, 2023
You will be contacted by email within 14 business days of your registration and you will be provided with detailed information on when and where to report for the test. Please ensure the email you provide during registration is accurate.
If you have previously tested for the Topeka Fire Department you can test again and the following will apply:
- If you pass the examination, you are placed on an applicant list and considered for hire for one year from the date you passed the test. Applicants are placed on the applicant list and ranked based on test score.
- You can take the test more than once. If you take the test a second (or subsequent time) your most recent written exam scores will be used to determine placement on the list.
- If you pass a test and then retake and fail a second or subsequent test you will be removed from the applicant list until if and when you retake and pass another entry-level examination.
Topeka Fire Department Exam Requirements
- You must be above 20 years of age by hire date
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers (important information and required reading)
- Topeka firefighters are required to possess and maintain a valid KS driver’s license and city-insurable driving record
The Topeka Fire Department will administer the Standard & Associates NFST (National Fire Selection Test) entry-level firefighter examination.
Please note that applicants must have KS EMT Certification and a current CPAT certificate to receive a conditional offer of employment.
Practice Test and Study Guide
You can purchase a practice test and/or study guide online directly from the test manufacturer.