Representatives from each of the nine Topeka City Council districts met for the first time Thursday night to begin the redistricting process. Redistricting of the City’s Council district boundary lines occurs every 10 years following the Census.
The Redistricting Commissioners were each appointed by their respective Councilmember to participate in the process. The 2022 Redistricting Commission members are as follows:
- Jessica Porter, Council District No. 1
- Laura Pederzani, Council District No. 2
- Teresa Leslie-Canty, Council District No. 3
- John Nave, Council District No. 4
- Marcus Clark, Council District No. 5
- Vicki Arnett, Council District No. 6
- Jeff Wagaman, Council District No. 7
- Bill Hill, Council District No. 8
- Michelle Hoferer, Council District No. 9
At Thursday’s meeting, the Commissioners learned about the overall process, and viewed two draft proposal maps City of Topeka staff developed to help start the conversation. The current District Map, and the two draft proposal maps can be viewed online. Commissioners have the opportunity to develop their own maps, but must follow rules set forth by law.
The Commissioners will meet again on Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. at the City’s Holliday Building, which is located at 620 SE Madison Ave.
The Commissioners invite community members to provide input throughout this process. Public input can be provided by email to the City Clerk’s Office at email@example.com. Community members are also invited to provide input during a Public Hearing, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 18 at 5:00 p.m. at the Holliday Building.
Learn more about City redistricting at https://www.topeka.org/citycouncil/redistricting-commission/.