2020/2021 East Topeka North Neighborhood Plan & SORT Redevelopment Program
CPA20/01 by the City of Topeka amending the text and map of the City of Topeka’s Comprehensive Plan updating the East Topeka North Neighborhood Plan. East Topeka North is located just to the East of Downtown Topeka, Kansas and is bounded by SE 6th Avenue to the south, the BNSF Rail lines to the west and north, and Deer Creek to the east.
East Topeka North was awarded the 2020 Stages of Resource Targeting (SORT) neighborhood improvement program through the City of Topeka. SORT is designed to increase the quality of life through targeted infrastructure and affordable housing investments.
August Update: Infrastructure and Parks
In place of an in person meeting the public input will be handled online. The August meeting webpage covers infrastructure and parks and to gain input from you includes a click and comment map and two surveys. The new webpage is designed to provide background information, guide the survey questions, and allow you to provide maximum input. The surveys will be active until September 4th with the webpage staying open.
The two surveys below can be found on the webpage. Be sure to check out the click and comment map found at the end of the infrastructure section!
Live or work in the East Topeka North Neighborhood? How should we invest $2 million in your neighborhood?
- View the 2002 East Topeka Neighborhood Revitalization Plan
- View the 2017 East Topeka North Neighborhood Health Map
2020 Planning Meetings to date
Don’t miss the next meeting! Click here to let us know you want to attend!
The Process of the update
- April 9 Conference Call Scheduled…Due to ongoing concerns associated with coronavirus, in person East Topeka North SORT Plan Review meetings have been suspended. To continue the progression of the East Topeka North Neighborhood Plan, a conference call will be held on April 9th at 6:00 PM. A copy of the agenda can be seen here.
- On February 6, 2020 the East Topeka North Kick off meeting was held at the Salvation Army. The meeting included details from the 2002 East Topeka Revitalization Plan and existing conditions, and allowed members of the community to provide feedback on the strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for the East Topeka North.
The following questions were presented at the meeting:
- What is one thing you would fix or change about East Topeka North?
- What is one thing you want to preserve about East Topeka North?
- How do you see East Topeka North in 15 Years?
- On March 5th, 2020 the East Topeka North SORT Plan Review Committee met to discuss existing housing conditions, rehabilitation funding programs through SORT, vision statement, as well as overarching goals and guiding principles for the neighborhood plan. You can see a copy of the agenda here.
For additional information about the update to the East Topeka North Neighborhood Plan, or to provide feedback, contact Bryson Risley by email or call him at 785.368.3005.
Check back periodically for updates.