Skip Navigation LinksBikeways

Skip Navigation LinksCity of Topeka > Planning > Bikeways

Bikeways Header Image


The City of Topeka is Recognized as a Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community

Read more.


Bikeways Routes (completed to date)

Bikeways Routes (master plan / phasing concept)

View Bikeway Fliers

Learn about the Sharrow
Bike Lanes
View the Bikeway Flyer
Bike Boulevards
View the Bike Boulevards


Welcome to the City of Topeka’s bicycles page! Here you will find information on what the City is doing to be more bicycle friendly, projects that have been implemented, and how you can be involved in biking.

In 2011, the City commissioned a Bikeways study. This was completed in 2012 and adopted by the MTPO. This document guides the City on implementing bikeways infrastructure.

Bikeways Master PlanPhase I Bikeways MapPhase II Map

The City of Topeka was selected to be part of KDOT’s Transportation Alternatives (TA) Program for Phases I and II of the Bikeways Master Plan. A local match of 20% is required, and the remaining 80% of the total project cost will be reimbursed by KDOT. Phase I was matched with City funds, and Phase II was matched with privately fundraised money. Read about them here: Phase I Award | Phase II Award

Bike lanes are now striped on SE 25th St at California! The work was done as part of the new Walmart development. This bikeways route will take you to Dornwood Park to the east and to the Landon Trail to the west. The rest of the route on 25th St will be installed in the Spring as part of Phase I.


StreetThe first stretch of sharrows has been laid in Topeka! With the completion of the construction on 4th Street Topeka starts its first steps in creating a bicycle network across the City. These sharrows run from Topeka Blvd west to Buchanan. The corresponding east route on 5th Street will have sharrows as well. Sharrows work as guides for bicyclists for a safer place to ride on the street, and help remind motorists to share the road. These sharrows were paid for with private funding from a citizen donor. Learn more about sharrows.


Bike Counts 2016

Thank you to all our volunteers who helped with our Bike/Ped Counts in September! For the third year, we had a great turnout again.

2016 Bike Count Report
2015 Bike Count Report
2014 Bike Count Report
2013 Bike Count Report


Be Safe!

In 2011, Governor Brownback signed into law the “3-Foot to Pass” rule, stating that motorists must give 3-ft of space when passing a bicyclist.

  • Wear a helmet
  • Wear reflective gear
  • White light on front, red light on back
  • Ride with the flow of traffic
  • Follow all road/vehicle rules
  • Don’t assume a car has seen you

Bill Fiander, AICP

Planning Director

Kris Wagers

Administrative Officer
620 SE Madison
Topeka, KS 66607

Planning Contacts

Licensing & Inspections