Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 1205 SW Polk St., Topeka, Kansas just before 2:00 PM on Monday February 5, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews reported smoke showing from the street side of the two story wood framed apartment building. This building (The Belmark Apartments) contained a total of twelve apartments. Ten of the twelve apartments were occupied. Fire crews quickly attacked the fire that had spread from the bottom floor toward the upper floors. All occupants and pets escaped the fire with no injuries.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to the fire scene to assist.
The Following is a brief summary from the Fire Investigation Unit;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be Accidental, associated with the use of a portable propane torch during remodeling. Origin of the fire was within the living room in apartment #7A.
- Estimated total dollar loss is (Forty Thousand Dollars) $40,000.
- $30,000 in structural loss and $10,000 in content loss.
- This fire had a response of four (4) Engine Companies, two (2) Truck Companies, one (1) Aerial Ladder, two (2) Chief Officers, a Rehab Unit due to weather conditions, a Training Officer, and an Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting at the fire scene; Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy, and AMR. The American Red Cross assisted seven (7) adults and three (3) children.
- One (1) smoke alarm was found sounding in the apartment building.