Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 3302 SE Girard St. Topeka, Kansas just after 1:30PM on Wednesday February 7, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews reported heavy fire and smoke showing from the west side of the one story wood framed detached garage. Fire crews quickly attacked the fire keeping it contained to the garage. One neighbor rescued a pet dog from the garage prior to the Topeka Fire Department’s arrival. Fire crews rendered medical aid to the dog and it regained consciousness.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to the fire scene to assist.
The Following is a brief summary from the Fire Investigation Unit;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be Undetermined. Origin of the fire was near a couch and space heater in the garage.
- Estimated total dollar loss is (Twenty Three Thousand Dollars) $23,000.
- $15,000 in structural loss and $8,000 in content loss.
- This fire had a response of three (3) Engine Companies, two (2) Truck Companies, one (1) Aerial Ladder, two (2) Chief Officers, one (1) Training Officer and an Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting at the fire scene; Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy, AMR and the Topeka Police Department.
- No working smoke alarms were located in the structure.