TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire located at 526 NE Burgess Street Topeka, Kansas shortly after 4:30 PM on Monday March 12, 2018. A person driving by was able to alert the occupant of the residence and 911 was activated. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy fire coming from behind the dwelling involving a recreational vehicle in the back yard. The fire spread from the vehicle and burned into the structure via the attic spaces. Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but not before the recreational vehicle was consumed and substantial damage was caused to the dwelling.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to assist in determining the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the cause of the fire as Accidental; more likely than not associated the failure and/or malfunction of an energized space heater being used with the recreational vehicle.
- Estimated dollar loss – $77,500 (Seventy Seven Thousand and Five Hundred Dollars); $45,000 to the structure and $25,000 to contents. $7,500 associated loss to the Recreational Vehicle.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies, Two (2) Battalion Chiefs and an Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting with this incident include The Topeka Police Department, American Medical Response, Kansas Gas Service, and Westar Energy.
- Smoke alarms were not present within the vehicle of fire origin.