TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire with possible person (s) trapped at 3304 SE Emerson St. Topeka, Kansas shortly after 11:00 AM on Sunday February 11, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from a single story dwelling. Firefighters began an aggressive search of the interior of the residence, finding no victims. The owners were soon located in the front yard of the property and advised that 2 Adults and 5 children were able to escape the residence unharmed. The fire was quickly extinguished, keeping it contained to a bedroom of the dwelling.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to assist in determining the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the cause of the fire as Accidental; more likely than not electrical in nature.
- Estimated dollar loss – $15,000 (Fifteen Thousand Dollars); $10,000 associated with the structure of fire origin, content loss estimated at $5,000.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy and the Kansas Capitol Area Chapter of The American Red Cross.
- No working smoke detectors were located within the structure.