TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department Responded to a structure fire located at 3225 SW Skyline Dr., Topeka Kansas just after 3:00 PM on Monday February 19, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found the two story wooden frame residential structure with smoke showing. Firefighters began an offensive fire attack keeping it confined to the structure of fire origin. All occupants made it outside of the house before firefighters’ arrival. Firefighters performed a search of the structure and confirmed there was nobody left inside. One infant patient was transported by AMR from the scene to a local hospital for injuries sustained from the fire.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be undetermined, pending further investigation.
- Estimated dollar loss – $50,000.00 (Fifty Thousand Dollars); $40,000.00 (Forty Thousand Dollars) structural loss and $10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Dollars) contents loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Truck Company, One (1) Aerial Ladder Company, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included the Topeka Police Department, Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy.
- There were no working smoke detectors in the structure at the time of the fire.