TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department Responded to a reported structure fire located at 3222 SW Sena Dr. at approximately 6:30 AM on Tuesday April 10, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found the single story residential structure with smoke and flames visible. Firefighters began an offensive fire attack, keeping the fire confined to the structure of fire origin. A primary search was conducted, to ensure all occupants had evacuated. During the search of the structure, one unresponsive dog was located and evacuated from the residence; firefighters were able to successfully resuscitate the dog. All other occupants were able to self-evacuate the structure with no injuries reported.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be undetermined.
- Estimated dollar loss – $50,000.00 (Fifty Thousand Dollars); $40,000.00 (Forty Thousand Dollars) structural loss and $10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Dollars) contents loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Truck Company, One (1) Aerial Ladder Company, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator. Additional companies responded for assistance.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included the Topeka Police Department, Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy and the Kansas Chapter of the American Red Cross.
- Three (3) adults and five (5) children were displaced from the home as a result of this fire.
- Working smoke detectors were present at the time of the fire.