Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire located at 3123 SE Michigan Ave. Topeka, KS at 12:44 PM on Monday June 18, 2018.
On the arrival of suppression crews, smoke and flames were discovered within a one story wood frame single-family residence. Fire crews began an offensive fire attack, while conducting a primary and secondary search of the structure. It was discovered that the occupants were not home at the time of the fire; a family pet was removed by suppression crews. The fire was quickly extinguished, confining the damage to the structure of origin.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation Unit responded to the scene to perform an origin and cause scene investigation.
The Following is a brief summary from the Fire Investigation Unit;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be Accidental, associated with a stove burner left on.
- The family pet, a cat, perished in the fire.
- Estimated total dollar loss is $20,000.
- $15,000 in structural loss and $5,000 in content loss.
- This fire had a response of 3 Engine Companies, 2 Truck Companies, 2 Chief Officers, and 1 Investigator.
- No sounding smoke alarms were discovered within the structure.
- The American Red Cross assisted four adults and two children.
- Other agencies assisting at the fire scene were; AMR, Topeka Police Department, Kansas Gas Service and Westar Energy.