For Immediate Release
January 24, 2018
3100 SW 29th Terrace Structure Fire Incident
TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department Responded to a structure fire located at 3100 SW 29th Terrace, Topeka Kansas just before 10:30 AM on Tuesday January 23, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found the two story wooden ballooned frame apartment structure with nothing showing. Firefighters encountered smoke when they entered the building. Firefighters located the fire and quickly extinguished it. A search of the apartment of fire origin revealed no occupants.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be incendiary, (intentionally set).
- The fire originated in apartment 208.
- 25 year old Blake A. Barrow was arrested and transported to the Shawnee County Department of Corrections where he was booked for Aggravated Arson.
- Estimated dollar loss – $1,100.00 (One Thousand One Hundred Dollars); $1,000.00 (One Thousand Dollars) structural loss and $100.00 (One Hundred Dollars) contents loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Truck Company, One (1) Aerial Ladder Company, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included the Topeka Police Department, Kansas Gas Service and Westar Energy.
- No working smoke detectors were located in the apartment of fire origin.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785)234-0007 or Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).