TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department Responded to a structure fire located at 306 SE Lake St., Topeka, Kansas just before 10:00 PM on Friday April 13, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found the single story wooden frame residential structure with smoke and flames visible. Firefighters began an offensive fire attack, keeping it confined to the structure of fire origin. A search of the residence revealed there were no occupants.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident, to perform an origin and cause scene investigation; the following is a brief summary:
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be undetermined, pending further investigation.
- Estimated dollar loss – $20,000.00 (Twenty Thousand Dollars); $10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Dollars) structural loss and $10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Dollars) contents loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Truck Company, One (1) Aerial Ladder Company, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- One adult and one child were displaced from the structure as a result of the fire.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included the Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy and the Kansas Chapter of the American Red Cross.
- No working smoke detectors were located within the residence.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785)234-0007 or Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).