TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 3016 SW Mareta Circle Topeka, Kansas shortly before 11:30 AM on Sunday March 18, 2018. Upon arrival, fire suppression crews advised heavy fire showing from a town home structure. All occupants of the affected complex were able to escape unharmed. The fire was extinguished, keeping the damage contained to one (1) of the four (4) units of the complex. Three (3) other units within the complex were unaffected and the occupants were not displaced as a result of this incident.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to assist in determining the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the cause of the fire as Accidental; associated with a juvenile playing with a lighter.
- Estimated dollar loss – $30,000 (Thirty Thousand Dollars); $20,000 to the dwelling and $10,000 to contents.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies, Two (2) Battalion Chiefs and an Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting with this incident included Westar Energy, Kansas Gas Service and the Capitol Chapter of the American Red Cross.
- Smoke were present within the complex and alerted the occupants.