TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 2042 SW High Ave. Topeka, Kansas shortly after 5:00 PM on Sunday April 15, 2018. Upon arrival, fire suppression crews advised heavy fire showing from a detached garage at the back of the dwelling. The fire was extinguished, but not before the fire caused substantial radiant heat damage to the vinyl siding of the associated dwelling and the structures addressed to the north (2038 SW High Ave.). A search of the associated dwelling revealed it to be vacant at the time of the fire.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to perform an origin and case scene investigation. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the cause of the fire as Incendiary; Intentionally Set.
- Estimated dollar loss – $15,000 (Fifteen Thousand Dollars); $5,000 to the detached garage and $10,000 radiant heat damage to adjacent structures. The detached garage was considered a total loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies, Two (2) Battalion Chiefs and one (1) Fire Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting with this incident included Westar Energy, Kansas Gas Service, American Medical Response and the Topeka Police Department.
- Smoke detectors were not present.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785)234-0007 or Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).