Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 1600 SW Polk St., Topeka, Kansas 66612 at 6:00 AM on Sunday February 25, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews reported smoke showing from the two story wood framed residence. Firefighters entered the structure and found the fire to be in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished keeping it contained to the basement area.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to the fire scene to assist.
The Following is a brief summary from the Fire Investigation Unit;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be Accidental, associated with electrical components of an exercise treadmill.
- Two adults, four children and a dog escaped the fire uninjured.
- A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants of the fire in the basement.
- Estimated content dollar loss is $3,000. No structural dollar loss is associated with this fire.
- This fire had a response of three (3) Engine Companies, two (2) Truck Companies, two (2) Chief Officers and an Investigator.
- Other agencies assisting at the fire scene; Westar Energy and Kansas Gas Service.