TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department Responded to a structure fire located at 1600 SE 23rd Street, Topeka Kansas just before 12:00 AM on Friday February 16, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found a camper trailer fully involved with fire. Firefighters began an offensive fire attack keeping it confined to the structure of fire origin. Upon firefighters arrival they confirmed that the sole occupant of the camper had escaped the fire.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be accidental, associated with careless smoking.
- Estimated dollar loss – $1,200.00 (One Thousand Two Hundred Dollars); $1,000.00 (One Thousand Dollars) structural (camper) loss and $200.00 (Two Hundred Dollars) contents loss.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Truck Company, One (1) Aerial Ladder Company, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included the Topeka Police Department.
- No working smoke detectors were located within the camper.