Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire located at 1537 SE Washington St., Topeka, KS shortly before 1:30 AM on Sunday June 17, 2018.
Upon arrival, the Topeka Fire Department found heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of a vacant house. Fire crews began an offensive fire attack and conducted a primary and secondary search of the structure; this search confirmed no occupants were inside. The fire was quickly extinguished, confining the damage to the original structure.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation Unit responded to perform an origin and cause scene investigation.
The Following is a brief summary from the Fire Investigation Unit;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be Incendiary, intentionally set at the back wooden deck.
- No reported injuries associated with this fire incident.
- Estimated total dollar loss is $7,500.
- $6,500 in structural loss and $1,000 in content loss.
- This fire had a response of 3 Engine Companies, 3 Truck Companies, 2 Chief Officers, and 1 Investigator.
- No sounding smoke alarms were discovered within the structure.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785) 234-0007 or Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).