TOPEKA, Kan. –The Topeka Fire Department responded to a structure fire located at 1025 NW Jackson St. Topeka, Kansas shortly after 06:20 AM on Sunday February 11, 2018. Upon arrival, fire crews found a detached garage structure in the back alley, with fire coming through the roof. Firefighters began an aggressive fire attack on the structure, keeping it contained to the structure of fire origin. The garage was found secured with no occupants.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to assist in determining the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the cause of the fire as Undetermined; however no foul play is suspected.
- Estimated dollar loss – $20,000 (Twenty Thousand Dollars); $10,000 associated with the structure of fire origin, content loss estimated at $10,000.
- The initial response to this fire involved Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies, One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander and an Investigator.
- Assisting agencies at this incident included Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy and the City of Topeka Public Works.
- No working smoke detectors were located within the structure.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785)234-0007 or Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).