The City of Topeka partnered with St. Louis-based urban planning and real estate consulting firm Development Strategies to create a detailed Citywide Housing Market Study and Strategy. The study was adopted by a motion of the Governing Body on July 21, 2020 and culminates the first comprehensive analysis of the city’s affordable housing needs in thirty years. A 12-member steering committee made up of housing partner organizations guided the process along with 95 key housing and neighborhood stakeholders. The Study & Strategy answered four key questions:
- What is the current supply of housing and is it positioned to meet future housing demand across a range of household affordability?
- What types of housing are missing in the market?
- What are the barriers and opportunities for diversifying Topeka’s housing stock?
- What tools, programs, and organizations are needed to advance Topeka’s housing priorities?
The motion approved by the Governing Body states: “adopt the study as an invaluable collection of data and strategy options, and requests the City Manager work with citizens, staff, providers and Council to draft a starting implementation plan in 120 days”. To that end, the Steering Committee and other affordable housing providers/funders have been tasked to accomplish a short-term action plan that kick starts implementation of the study. Staff will report back these action recommendations to the Governing Body in November, 2020.
- Housing Study Implementation Matrix
- Prioritization Timeline
- Draft Action Plan
Meeting #2 Materials
Meeting #1 Materials
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 – Understand: Housing Trends
- Chapter 2 – Understand: Neighborhood Context
- Chapter 3 – Housing Market Analysis
- Chapter 4 – Defining the Need
- Chapter 5 – Housing & Investment Strategies
- Chapter 6 – Prioritization & Implementation
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide broad perspective about housing issues and trends
- Advise about housing issues that need to be addressed
- Identify blind spots
- Inform about community challenges and history that cannot be ignored
- Help define future direction of housing policy
- Participate in implementation
Topeka Area Building Association
Sunflower Realtor’s Association
Housing & Credit Counseling
The City of Topeka would like to thank it’s partners for making this housing study possible for our community.