Skip Navigation LinksSocial Services

Special Alcohol & Drug Grants Request for Proposals

The Topeka-Shawnee County Alcohol-Drug Abuse Advisory Council has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) dated Monday, June 5, 2017 for applicants wishing to receive Citywide and Countywide Alcohol and Drug Prevention, Intervention and Treatment Grants. These funds are intended to for the purchase, establishment, maintenance or expansion of services or programs in accordance with ”K.S.A. Chapter 79, Article 41a--last amended in 2012. K.A.R. Agency 92, Article 24--last amended in March 2010.”

The City and County anticipate making approximately $585,000 available for Citywide and Countywide Alcohol and Drug Prevention, Intervention and Treatment Grants. Proposals will be judged on a competitive basis and grant awards will be for the 2018 fiscal year. 

Beginning Monday, June 5, 2017 the Request for Proposal (RFP) and application are available in hard copy from the Department of Neighborhood Relations (DNR), 620 S.E. Madison St., 1st Floor – UNIT 8, Topeka, Kansas, 66607. Email versions may be requested in writing to Rachelle Vega-Retana at DNR or to

Proposals are due no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, July 10, 2017. 

For further information or questions regarding this RFP or application may be directed to Rachelle Vega-Retana at 785-368-4490, or by email -


Hearth Emergency Solutions Grant (HESG)

The Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing Act of 2009 (HEARTH Act) amended the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, including major revisions to the Emergency Shelter Grants program, now the Hearth Emergency Solutions Grants (HESG) program.

View the HEARTH Emergency Solutions Grant (HESG) Request for Proposal (RFP).


Funds may be used for:

  • Homeless Prevention – housing relocation and stabilization services and short-term rental assistance as necessary to prevent the individual or family from becoming homeless.
  • Rapid Rehousing – funds provide short-term rental assistance as necessary to help individuals or families living in shelters or in places not meant for human habitation move as quick as possible into permanent housing and achieve stability in that housing.
  • Shelter - shelter operations


Social Services & Contracted Services (SSCS)

Contracted Services – Programs that are essential to the city contracted to other agencies to provide a service.

Emergency Aid – Programs which provide assistance given to cover essential needs on an emergency or crisis basis.

Preventive/Counseling – programs which provide services on an ongoing or as-needed basis to help at-risk individuals and families stabilize their lives and avoid or overcome emergencies.


View other housing services.


Corrie Wright

Division Director