The Troy Scroggins Awards are presented to deserving individuals and organizations for their efforts in furthering the HRC’s mission, which is “to ensure fair and equal rights to all citizens of Topeka.” The HRC Troy Scroggins Award recognizes outstanding achievements in ameliorating discrimination and prejudice based on race, sex, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, and sexual orientation and advancing diversity in the city of Topeka.
Nominations for a group or organization are due by April 1st each year.
Nominations for an individual are due by September 1st each year.
Nominate an individual or organization for a Troy Scroggins award here.
Troy Scroggins Nomination Packet (PDF)
Troy Scroggins Winners
- 2019: Individuals: Chris Omni, Edith Gaines, Larry Robbins
Organization: Kansas Children’s Discovery Center
- 2018: Individual: Martinez Hillard
- 2017: Individuals: Annette Hope Billings, Dennis Etzel Jr., Officer Timothy Bell
- 2015: Individual: Dr. Sharon Sullivan
Organization: The Green Gals
- 2014: Individual: Jeremy Beard
Organization: Topeka Public Schools Equity Council
- 2013: Organization: Girls on the Run Topeka YWCA
- 2012: Individuals: Garry Cushinberry, U.S Attorney Barry Grissom District of Kansas
- 2011: Individuals: Brian Peters, Demarus Kelley, Barry R. Grissom
Organizations: Community First, CASA of Shawnee County, Inc., Boys and Girls Club of Topeka
- 2010: Individuals: Eric Johnson,
- 2009: Organizations: YWCA R.A.C.E Committee, Living the Dream, Inc.
- 2008: Individuals: CE Sonny Scroggins, Jane Brown