Please check back periodically for updates to the website.
The Public Health and Safety Committee is seeking public input on include solutions for substandard properties, Vacant properties, Overgrowth, Trash and overall Changing the Culture of Property Maintenance in Topeka. The focus of the meetings will be what Property Maintenance or citywide initiatives the Public Health and Safety Committee could explore to have our city safer and better, where citizens of all neighborhoods and incomes are confident and inspired to maintain structures and properties
The Public Health and Safety Committee encourages the public to watch the video Beyond Clipboards: A Strategic Approach to Code Enforcement – May 2019 during the second week of September via this link Beyond Clipboards: A Strategic Approach to Code Enforcement make note of at least one idea from the video, and bring that and their own ideas to one of the public input sessions.
The video can be viewed anywhere free internet access is available. Those who don’t have internet access and would like to watch the video can do so at one of two sessions on September 13th at the Holliday Building at 620 Madison Street. The first session will be from 1:00-2:00 p.m. The second session will be on the 15th of September from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Both meetings on September 22nd and 23rd at the Holiday Building will also have a virtual option and will be streamed live on Facebook and City4. Please contact email@example.com for the zoom link.
September 13th from 6:00-8:00pm at Hillcrest Community Center, 1800 SE 21st St.
September 16th from 6:00-8:00pm at Central Park Community Center, 1534 SW Clay St.
September 20th from 6:00-8:00pm at Crestview Community Center, 4801 SW Shunga Dr.
September 22nd from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Garfield Community Center, 1600 NE Quincy St.
September 22nd from 9-11 a.m. at the Holliday Building, 620 Madison St.
September 23rd from 6-8 p.m. at the Holliday Building, 620 Madison St.
September 30th from 6:30-8:30pm at Lundgren Elementary School in Oakland, 1020 NE Forest Ave.
- Property and Premises Enforcement and Improvement Proposal Recommendations
- Property and Premises – Staff Response to Preliminary Recommendation
- PHS EXCERPT for Property Premises
- Public Health and Safety Committee Report – Property and Premises
- International Property Maintenance Code
- Preliminary Resolution
- Topeka Municipal Code
- Public Health and Safety Committee
- Property Maintenance Overview August 2021
- Property Maintenance Initiatives Public Meeting PowerPoint
- Fire Safety Exits – International Fire Code for safe means of egress, International Building Code for requirements for passage past locks (enforced by Property Maintenance and Fire) page 46 section 702 on this PDF
- Businesses operating in Residential Zoning – prohibited (enforced by Zoning in Planning and Development)