Trade Boards of Appeal
There are three (3) trade Boards of Appeal in the City of Topeka; Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical. Each Board consists of two (2) masters in the trade, two journeymen in the trade and a practicing engineer. These Boards have been empowered by the City Council to permit exceptions, variances, or waivers of specific sections of their respective Codes on a case by case basis.
Note: An exception, variance or waiver shall not be granted except in those situations that will not endanger life or limb, health, property, or public welfare.
Applications shall be accompanied by a full written explanation of the rationale and reasoning for the request.
The Following Information Needs to Accompany the Application
- A detailed plan or drawing.
- A written explanation of why the Code cannot or should not be enforced.
- A written explanation of what you propose as an alternate that would meet the intent of the Code.
At this time, there is no cost associated with this appeal.
Applications Must be Turned in at Least Two (2) Weeks Prior to the Hearing Date to
Development Services Division
620 SE Madison Unit 6
Phone (785) 368-3905
We are located on the 3rd Floor.
Note: If you miss the deadline, the Chairperson of the Board may add your appeal to the agenda if the circumstances warrant.
Meetings are held at 620 SE Madison, 3rd Floor
A Schedule of meetings are as follows:
- Electrical: 2nd Tuesday of each month
- Mechanical: 1st Wednesday of each month
- Plumbing: 3rd Wednesday of each month
Trade Board of Appeals Rosters
- Dode Lesser - Lesser Electric Inc. (Chairman)
- Dave Krug, P.E. - Brack & Associates Consulting Engineers, PA
- Jim Grunewald - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Shawn Smith, P.E. - D.L. Smith Electric Inc.
- William Brown - Brown’s Electric.
- Craig Johnson - City of Topeka (Staff Liaison) 785-368-1627. email@example.com
- Robert Beaver - Latta Whitlow (Chairman)
- Richard Beardmore, P.E. - Latimer Sommers & Associates, PA.
- Tom Cain - Lower Inc
- Jim March - P1 Group
- Chuck Smelter - McElroy’s Inc
- Jerry Kastner - City of Topeka (Staff Liaison) 785-368-1630. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Romine P.E. - Brack & Associates Consulting Engineers, PA (Chairman)
- Neil Carlson - Plumbing by Carlson Inc.
- Doug Snook - Snook & Warren Plumbing Inc.
- Brian Burnett - P-1 Group
- Bruce Pfeiffer - City of Topeka (Staff Liaison) 785-368-368-1623. email@example.com