Contact: Topeka Fire Department, Fire Prevention Division
The Topeka Fire Department is committed to keeping you and your family safe from the dangers of fire. It is for this reason that we would like you to review these regulations and reference materials before you undertake any open burning. An annual burning permit is required for any open burning within the City of Topeka. This permit will be valid for the calendar year that it is issued.
This on-line form is only a permit application, the actual permits will be issued at a later date. Once the permit application is submitted, you will be contacted by a Fire Inspector to schedule an on-site inspection. For 2015 you will need to be present at the time of this inspection to receive safety information and sign the permit. In future years renewal permits will be issued without on-site inspections.
Regulations Applicable To All Permits:
- The approved permit shall be in possession of person doing burning or available for immediate inspection.
- Burn is only allowed during daylight hours. Fires must be extinguished at sundown.
- No burning during periods when surface wind speed is less than 5mph or more than 15mph.
- No burning during inclement or foggy conditions or on very cloudy days (ceiling less than 2000')
- No burning within 50 feet of any structure.
- No burning of heavy smoke producing materials including heavy oils, tires, tarpaper, or any material which gives off offensive odor or smoke that is of soiling soot content.
- The Fire Chief or his designee reserves the right to modify or revoke this permit at any time.
- A competent person shall constantly attend open fires and bonfires until such fire is extinguished. This person shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other approved fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
- Fire Dispatch will be notified prior to lighting the pile for authorization at 785-368-9514
- Fire Dispatch will be notified once the fire has been extinguished at 785-368-9514
- Burning operations shall meet the minimum requirements stated above and the open burning regulations of the State of Kansas: K.A.R. 28-19-645 - 28-19-648.
Violations of City of Topeka Open Burning Regulation can cause suspension or revocation of open burning permit or Municipal Court Citation.
Click here to view a list of non approved open burning items.
Online Residential Burn Permit