MEETINGS & AGENDAS
Topeka’s City Council is comprised of the Mayor and one member from each of the nine City Council Districts. City Council Members are also members of separate legislative bodies such as the Joint Economic Development Organization (JEDO) Board, and may sit on one or more Standing Committees.
Additionally, the Topeka City Council has formed a wide variety of boards and commissions to assist the City in information gathering and the deliberative process. Collectively, the legislative bodies of the City of Topeka are vital to the operation of the City and ensure public involvement in the governmental process.
Members of the public are encouraged to attend public meetings of the City Council and the City’s Boards & Commissions. The Topeka City Council generally meets on the first three Tuesdays of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers located at 214 SE 8th Street, 2nd Floor of the Municipal Building (Topeka Performing Arts Center). To view the complete schedule of all Council and other Legislative Body meetings, please view the public meeting calendar.
Special meetings may be called by the city manager, mayor or by four or more members of the council. The call for a special meeting must be submitted to the city clerk, except if an announcement of a special meeting takes place during any meeting at which a quorum of five or more members are present shall be sufficient notice of a special meeting. In the case of emergency meetings, the city clerk will provide notice of a special meeting to the city manager, the entire governing body, as well as, post the notice on the City’s website at least 24 hours prior to the meeting date.
Each Thursday, the city clerk makes available the Council agendas for the next two consecutive meetings and will post the agendas to the City’s website. Each agenda shall include the following:
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Mayoral Proclamations
- Presentations (Including Staff Reports)
- Roll Call
- Consent Agenda. These items are comprised of routine matters to be approved collectively (e.g. Council minutes, appointments, license applications, claims)
- Action Items. These items include matters where the Council or Governing Body takes action (e.g. ordinances, resolutions, labor agreements)
- Non-Action Items. These items include discussions, public hearings and any other item not requiring action.
- Announcements. The city manager, mayor and council members may offer comments regarding City business and/or bring to the attention of the public upcoming events of interest. Also during this time, the city clerk will briefly summarize the agenda for the next scheduled Council meeting.
- Public Comment. Sign up for public comment here by 5:00 p.m. on the day of the Council meeting.
- (a) Agenda Item. Members of the public may comment concerning a specific agenda item at the time the item is considered. Persons will be given four (4) minutes to speak.
- (b) General Public Comment. Requests by member of the public to speak during public comment portion of the meeting will be placed on the agenda on a “first-come first-served” basis. Topics should relate to topics directly relevant to business of the City Council.
- Adjournment. The Council meeting will be adjourned no later than 10:00 p.m. or as announced by the chair at the conclusion of business. Meetings may be continued beyond 10:00 p.m. only when approved by a majority of members present.