In a disaster, water supplies may be cut off or contaminated. Store enough water for everyone in your family to last for at least 3 days. More is better.
- Store a gallon of water per person per day.
- Seal water containers tightly in a clean food-grade plastic container, label them with a date, and store in a cool, dark place.
- Rotate water supplies every 6 months.
- Keep a small bottle of unscented liquid bleach to purify water.
If you have concerns about your water safety do one of the following:
- Boil water for at least five minutes, let cool, then drink or use to prepare food.
- Add 8 drops of unscented liquid bleach to each gallon of water. Shake or stir, then let stand 30 minutes. A slight chlorine taste and smell is normal.
- If you run out of stored drinking water, strain & treat water from your water heater. To strain, pour it through a clean cloth or layers of paper towels.
- Treat, following the directions above.