How to Apply
Mayor Wolgast is working to improve understanding of the appointment process for all city boards and commissions. If you are considering serving on a Topeka board or commission, we hope you find this information helpful.
All nominees seeking an appointment to a Topeka board or commission will need to complete an application form. Instructions for completion and submission are provided on the form.
Application for AppointmentAvailable for download in two formats
Overview of Appointment Process
- All open positions will be posted on the City of Topeka website at least 60 days in advance of the opening.
- Certain boards require nominations by city councilmembers. (See city-created boards)
- All persons, including current members seeking re-appointment, will need to complete an application form by the stated deadline in the notice.
- The general application for appointment is available on this website or from the Mayor’s Office.
- When a nomination by a city council person is required, the person seeking the appointment is responsible for contacting a council person to request nomination. City Councilmembers contact information is available on this website. Current members seeking re-appointment will need to be re-nominated for appointment.
- The person seeking appointment will be responsible to confirm with the Mayor’s Office that their completed application is received and if required, that a council member has nominated them. (See city-created boards below.)
- The Mayor’s Office will not release the name or application of a nominee to the public unless the person is selected by the Mayor for appointment. When selected, the Mayor will send the names (and applications) of his appointees to the City Council for approval on the public consent agenda.
- Nominees selected for appointment will receive a confirming appointment letter from the Mayor.
City ordinance requires that councilmembers select the nominees for membership to any city created board.
If you are seeking nomination to a city-created board (see list below) you will need to contact your council person (or any council person) and request that they nominate you to serve. This requirement applies to first time appointees as well as re-appointees.
The Mayor’s Office suggests that you complete the application form provided above and submit it to your council person when requesting to be nominated. The council person will submit your name for nomination along with your application form and accompanying information to the Mayor’s Office.
2) Board of Building and Fire Appeals
3) Board of Electrical Appeals
4) Board of Mechanical Appeals
5) Board of Plumbing Appeals
6) Board of Zoning Appeals
7) Citizen Advisory Council
8) Civil Service Commission
9) Human Relations Commission
10) Topeka Planning Commission
11) Topeka Sustainability Advisory Board
Statutory Board Requiring Council Nomination:1) Topeka Metropolitan Transit Authority
Please follow the same procedure as the city-created board.