When a disaster occurs, you might not have access to food, water and electricity for days, or even weeks. Store enough emergency food to provide for your family for at least 3 days.
- Avoid foods that require a lot of water, refrigeration or cooking.
- Choose foods your family will eat.
- Don’t forget a manual can opener and utensils.
Recommended Foods Include:
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables
- Canned juices, milk and soup.
- High-energy foods, such as peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars and trail mix.
- Comfort foods, such as hard candy, sweetened cereals, candy bars and cookies.
- Dried foods (select carefully as some have a high salt content).
- Instant meals that don’t require cooking or water.