If you are told to evacuate by local officials, leave immediately
- Wear sturdy shoes and appropriate clothing.
- Take your emergency go-bag.
Follow instructions of public safety officials and use authorized travel routes.
- Lock your home, if possible.
- If you have time, leave a note telling others when you left and where you are going.
- Once you are safe, call your out-of-state contact and tell them where you are.
- Plan Ahead
- Identify ahead of time where you could go if you are told to evacuate. Choose several places--a friend's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter.
- Keep handy the telephone numbers of these places, as well as a road map.
- Consider the need to take any important prescription medications and medical supplies, as well as important documents with you