Understanding Your Utility Bill Public Works - Home | Departments

  • Water meters are read monthly.
  • Base Charges are assessed per water meter and by the size the water meter.
  • Volume Charges are assessed per 1,000 gallons of water consumed.
  • If your bill has been estimated, it will be noted on your bill with an ā€œEā€.
  • View an example bill explaining how meter, notice, message, past due and current account information is provided on your monthly statement.


  • The residential wastewater charge is based on the average water consumption used during the winter quarter (December - February). The charge will remain consistent for one year (generally April - April).
  • Non-residential wastewater charges are based on monthly water consumption.


Stormwater fees are assessed on the amount of hard surface you have on your property. For more information, view stormwater tips or call 785-368-3111.

Outside City & Sherwood Wastewater District

  • Customers residing outside the City are charged premium water and wastewater rates and are also assessed a fire hydrant maintenance fee.
  • Customers served by the Sherwood Wastewater District are billed at rates established by Shawnee County.

Shawnee County Refuse

© City of Topeka | 785-368-3111